“Psychosynthesis is a method of psychological development and self realisation
for those who refuse to remain the slave of their own inner phantasms or of external influences,
who refuse to submit passively to the play of psychological forces which is going on within them,
and who are determined to become the master of their own lives.”
– Roberto Assagioli
- Lower unconscious
- Middle unconscious
- Higher unconscious
- Field of awareness
- Personal self/”I”
- Higher Self
- Collective unconscious
- The complexes, phobias, forgotten memories, manias, instincts are usually repressed in the lower unconscious that corresponds to our mental past. Its analysis helps our psychological growth and fosters the integration of old or hidden aspects of our personalities.
- The middle unconscious in psychosynthesis is the field of information that is now available or has aspects of our personality – thoughts, emotions, abilities that are not completely suppressed, we can choose to follow them or not. For example, we have the ability and knowledge how to drive, but we choose to use it when we need to.
- Higher unconscious can also be called our evolutionary future. Most often, we experience it through inspiration, insights whether it happens in creativity, science, or ordinary everyday matters. It also has Qualities such as Faith, Courage, Love, Beauty, Vitality, Calm, Truth, Understanding, Joy, and the other. Often, the complexity of our personality distorts these qualities. For example: love becomes possessiveness or jealousy. However, psychosynthesis sees this as a plus and suggests working with it, helping to reveal the ‘pure form’ of the Quality.
- The field of awareness is all you feel, sense or think in the here and now.
- “I” is the personal self who feels, experiences, thinks. The practice of psychosynthesis helps to cultivate and increase contact with the “I”. In such a way helping to choose one’s experience consciously and voluntarily, rather than being distracted and ruled by it.
This article presented a very small amount of information about psychosynthesis. Psychosynthesis is a positive transformation based system that sees the darkest depths of our being as well as the spiritual heights. It views human being as a holistic entity with an endless reservoir of material that could be transformed and has an ever present potential. Psychosynthesis is abundant with methods, ‘maps’ and techniques used for growth and self-development. Few of the main methods used are ‘dis-identification’ technique, development of the will, work with subpersonalities, meditations, visualizations, the “ideal model”.
For information on these methods and other issues related to psychosynthesis and psychotherapy, see the Resources page and the Blog section.